Today were going to talk about FIRE POWER, I could have also called this STOP DROP AND ROLL.
Thankfully we aren’t talking about Hades, Tartarus or Gehenna this morning
Summary: Jesus is the ultimate, original pyromaniac. And He is looking for someone to become His fire-power on the Earth TODAY!
Scripture: Luke 3:16 John answered them all, “I baptise you with water. But one who is more powerful than I will come, the straps of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie. He will baptise you with the Holy Spirit and fire.
How many of you guys, and girls for that matter like to play with fire? there are so many Camping stories of boys & fire! Every boy, no matter what the age, is a pyromaniac.
I know as a young fella I loved camp fires and still do, I remember when I was maybe 10. We lived in an area where we were surrounded by bush and a mate and I thought it would be a great idea to have a BBQ but being only 10 we didn’t put too much thought into the whole thing and need less to say after about 10 acres got burnt I got the hiding of my life… I’ve never seen my mate run so fast. Another time I remember launching my boat and anyone who has seen my boat will know I have an electric motor on the front for when we go lure fishing, well in this case I launched the boat while another mate parked the car and I used the electric motor to get over to the jetty to pick him up, when he got back to the boat we decided to grab some food from the nearby shop and tied the boat up. Not 5 minutes later we got back and wondered why a crowd had gathered…. To cut a long story short the electric motor was on fire and was melting onto the front of the boat. While stressful it was still a spectacular sight
Theres TWO THINGS I’d like you to remember from this morning:
1. Jesus is the ultimate, original pyromaniac.
2. Jesus is looking for someone to become His firepower!
let me start with
JESUS IS THE ULTIMATE PYROMANIAC!
Fire is mentioned over 500 times in the Bible
What is a Pyromaniac? the Definition is someone who has the irresistible urge to start fires. lets Look at some verses:
1. Genesis 3:23 – God sent an angel and a flaming sword to guard the Garden of Eden
2. Genesis 19:22 – a couple of cities get set on fire (Sodom & Gomorrah) neither was a good place to be
3. Exodus 3:2 – God set a bush on fire when He appeared to Moses
4. Exodus 19:28 – God set a mountain on fire
5. Leviticus – God told his people to set things on fire (offerings)
6. Numbers – talks about fire by night
7. Deut. 4:24 – says “For the Lord your God is a consuming fire.”
An INTERESTING NOTE is Two books in the Bible that don’t talk about fire are Ruth & Esther both girls books.
See – boys are all pyromaniacs! Actually – Ezra is one ’boy’ book of the Bible who doesn’t talk about fire, but he was just a nerdy bookworm! (Kidding of course, he was a great scribe!)
JESUS IS LOOKING FOR SOMEONE TO BECOME HIS FIREPOWER!
How is Firepower Defined –
The dictionary says, the capacity, as of a weapon, weapons system, or military unit for delivering fire; the ability to deliver fire against an enemy in combat. Effective power or force.
God wants you to become a powerful weapon that He can use to deliver fire against the Enemy in combat.
Does Anyone here want to become a pyromaniac for Jesus, or flamethrowers for Jesus?
LETS GET IGNITED
Luke 3:16, The Message translation says it this way
“But John intervened: “I’m baptising you here in the river. The main character in this drama (Jesus), to whom I’m a mere stagehand, will IGNITE the kingdom life, a fire, the Holy Spirit within you, changing you from the inside out.”
Remember this is John the Baptist, a wild man who ate bugs and who was saying to people “You snakes! You brood of vipers! How will you escape being condemned to hell? he sounds more pentecostal than baptist to me, but he knew what he was talking about, John was a great preacher. Maybe the greatest preacher of his day and yet he said There is one coming after me whose sandals I am not worthy to carry.” He said there is one coming who has power.
Luke 12:49 says
“I have come to cast fire on the Earth, and how I wish it were already kindled.”
ITS TIME TO GET IGNITED! It’s time to fire up!
Remember: Jesus is the ultimate, original pyromaniac, and Jesus is looking for someone to become His firepower!
I want to take you to a story in the Scriptures of an ordinary guy who became God’s firepower.
BACKDROP TO THE STORY: it all starts in Exodus 2:23-25
“Now it happened in the process of time that the king of Egypt died. Then the children of Israel groaned because of the bondage, and they cried out; and their cry came up to God because of the bondage. So God heard their groaning, and God remembered His covenant with Abraham, with Isaac, and with Jacob. And God looked upon the children of Israel, and God acknowledged them.”
– Doesn’t that sound like the world we’re living in, specifically our region? our town?
THE STORY GOES ON: Exodus 3:1-5
“ Now Moses was tending the flock of Jethro his father-in-law, the priest of Midian. And he led the flock to the back of the desert, and came to Horeb, the mountain of God. And the Angel of the Lord appeared to him in a flame of fire from the midst of a bush. So he looked, and behold, the bush was burning with fire, but the bush was not consumed. Then Moses said, “I will now turn aside and see this great sight, why the bush does not burn.” So when the Lord saw that he turned aside to look, God called to him from the midst of the bush and said, “Moses, Moses!” And he said, “Here I am.” Then He said, “Do not draw near this place. Take your sandals off your feet, for the place where you stand is holy ground.”
A couple of points to note here are
– Before God raised Moses up as a deliverer, He had to experience the FIRE OF GOD!
– God wants us to become fascinated with Him, to turn aside and see this great sight!
God wants us to hear His voice and come onto holy ground! LETS GET IGNITED church!
YOU KNOW THERE ARE THREE BAPTISMS OF FIRE IN THE BIBLE:
THE FIRE BAPTISM OF LOVE:
Song of songs 8:6-7
Place me like a seal over your heart, like a seal on your arm; for love is as strong as death, its jealousy unyielding as the grave. It burns like blazing fire, like a mighty flame. Many waters cannot quench love; rivers cannot sweep it away. If one were to give all the wealth of one’s house for love, it would be utterly scorned.
This is about our first love
– This has to be the foundation! God wants to stir up our passion and fiery love for Jesus!
– Ex. 33:11 says it this way “So the Lord spoke to Moses face to face, as a man speaks to his friend.”.
2. THE FIRE BAPTISM OF HOLINESS:
Malachi 3:1-3 says
“Behold, I send My messenger, And he will prepare the way before Me. And the Lord, whom you seek, Will suddenly come to His temple, Even the Messenger of the covenant, In whom you delight. Behold, He is coming,” Says the Lord of hosts. “But who can endure the day of His coming? And who can stand when He appears? For He is like a refiner’s fire And like launderer’s soap. He will sit as a refiner and a purifier of silver; He will purify the sons of Levi, And purge them as gold and silver, That they may offer to the Lord An offering in righteousness.”.
what if a flaming meteor hit the church today to burn away everything not of Him. Are you willing to give up everything to know Him more?
Im Going to say that again if a flaming meteor hit the church today to burn away everything not of Him. Are you willing to give up everything to know Him more?
– Again Exodus 3:5 says “Take your sandals off your feet, for the place where you stand is holy ground.”
– Sin is like water that will put out the fire of love for Jesus!
– some of you may know of Smokey the bear he was an advertising mascot created to educate the US public about the dangers of forest fires. An advertising campaign featuring Smokey was created in 1944 He said, “Only YOU can prevent wildfires!” Our sin stops the fire!
3. THE FIRE BAPTISM OF POWER:
Acts 1:8 says
“But you shall receive power (dunamis – dynamite – firepower) when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me.”
– Exodus 3:10 puts it this way “Come now, therefore, and I will send you to Pharaoh that you may bring My people, the children of Israel, out of Egypt.”
Many people tell me they want the Gifts of the holy spirit
But it says in 1 Cor. 12:7-10 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all:
▪ Prophecy – a divine utterance of the Holy Spirit to encourage, edify or comfort people.
▪ Tongues – the gift of speaking supernaturally in a language not known to the individual.
▪ Interpretation of tongues – an interpretation of a message that is given in tongues.
▪ Word of wisdom – wisdom to know what to do or how to do it, either for your life or someone else’s.
▪ Word of knowledge – knowledge of an event or other information in someone’s life (past or present) that you were not aware of in the natural.
▪ Discerning of spirits – to discern the spirit world, to tell whether something is divine (God or angels), human (natural origin) or demonic (Satan or demons).
▪ Faith – a unique form of faith (not the faith that saves you) that supernaturally trusts and does not doubt concerning specific matters – to believe God for the impossible.
▪ Gifts of healings – the healings God performs supernaturally. i.e. a broken arm.
▪ The working of miracles – the manifestation of power beyond the ordinary course of natural law. This is where something that could never have been done naturally occurs.
what can you take home out of this?
No believer can say that they have no gift of the Spirit from God. God has given all believers gifts; some have several but everyone has these gifts. These gifts of the Spirit are given not for the believer but for the Body of Christ. It is to make the Body complete. These gifts are intended for the church to edify it, to strengthen it, to feed it, to exhort it, to encourage it and to have the Body of Christ empowered to do the work of Christ. These gifts are always to exalt Christ, to witness of God’s power, to build up the Body, and to work to enlarge the Body of Christ by sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ with the lost
Leviticus 6:12 says
“And the fire on the altar shall be kept burning on it; it shall not be put out. And the priest shall burn wood on it every morning.”
WHAT IS THE FUEL/WOOD FOR THE FIRE OF GOD IN OUR LIVES?
The Fire of the Word (Jeremiah 20:9). But if I say, “I will not mention His word or speak anymore in His name,” His word is in my heart like a fire, a fire shut up in my bones. I am weary of holding it in; indeed, I cannot.
2. The Fire of Prayer (Rev. 8:4) The smoke of the incense, together with the prayers of God’s people, went up before God from the angel’s hand……smoke of the prayers of the saints, smoke = fire
3. The Fire of the Holy Spirit!
Acts 2:1-4 says
“When the Day of Pentecost had fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. Then there appeared to them divided tongues, as of fire, and one sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.”
This manifestation was a reminder of what seen by Moses in the burning bush, and the priests that ministered in the Holy of Holies; above the Ark of the covenant, the shekinah glory. When the curtain of the Holy Place was torn in two when Jesus died it was a sign to the Jews that the Old Covenant was no longer the way God dwells with man.
The tongues of fire was the visible sign of glory, it resembled fire in its luminosity. The Holy Spirit was sent to dwell in the NEW Temple, the body of Christ, all of us
Church, Fire does many things
the Bible says that fire reveals
fire refines, or purifies
the Bible teaches us that fire consumes
The next thing that fire does is, fire makes warm, it glows. I remember going to Murani Glass in venice and watching the Hot glowing glass get shaped into all sorts of items
fire imparts energy
fire spreads; nothing spreads like fire if it has fuel and oxygen it feeds its self
LETS GET IGNITED
When the disciples were walking with Jesus along the Emmaeus road, after they realised who he was, they said, “Were not our hearts burning within us.
When we are walking with Jesus, the very nature of God is within us – like the burning bush, like the hearts of the disciples.
So when we are walking with Jesus – when we are in communion with him, God’s FIRE should be evident.
Church the promise of God’s word is that He will baptise with the Holy Spirit, and with fire. It’s a promise. It’s something we can expect, because God is faithful, and it’s something we should be looking for – something that should be evident as an expression of the very nature of God living and moving and having his presence among us and within us.
I don’t know about you but I often get a fire in my belly, for me its the fire to become a Pastor one day, for you it could be the fire to get a new job or be the best parent you can be but for all of us it firstly must be the fire to serve God and each day do our best to become a little bit more like Jesus.
LETS GET IGNITED
Father God I pray that anyone here who wants to can become Spirit-filled believers and I pray for the power of the Holy Spirit to be released upon them. Father God I pray that as a church everyone here can and will Acknowledge your son Jesus as the only God in heaven and on earth, Acknowledge Jesus as their personal Lord, and Saviour and while doing this Renounce Satan and his works while Repenting of their sins Father God I pray that everyone has the Desire and belief that Jesus wants to give His gifts to us.
Lord I pray that The Holy Spirit helps us grow spiritually. Developing a new or renewed hunger and thirst for prayer, a hunger to study the Scriptures, and a new sense of Jesus’ love, and a sense of you God as our Loving Father who loves us and wants what is best for us Father give us a greater power over temptation and sin. Father break our chains with sin totally and refresh us daily. AMEN